About Me

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Math Math Math!

So after our PD last week on Math, I'm making it my new focus. I really want to dive deeply into the math workshop, get centers going and resume my Morning Meeting or Minds on Math time.  I was apparently mistaken when I thought since we were told the traditional calendar time is not included in the common core standards that I didn't need to have the Morning Meeting anymore. Well, I couldn't have been more wrong. I did actually miss it so I'm excited to bring it back to the math block. I know there are several Smart board lessons out there, but if anyone has any good suggestions, please feel free to share!
CGI Problem of the Day
Today I posed the problem, Mrs. Berry had ___ pattern blocks. She only used triangles and hexagons. If ___ of them were triangles, then how many were hexagons? I'm still really trying to push base ten so my first numbers I used were 20 and 5.  After nearly 7 months of first grade, it does still amaze me at how much trouble the students still have solving these problems.  Actually probably half of the class got the right answer, but I think most of them have just memorized the process because we've done so many problems of this type.  Feel free to try this problem and let me know how it goes!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comments!