About Me

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

I'm Moving!!!!

This post has been a long time coming, but I can finally say it....

I'm moving!!!!

To a new school, that is. I have been teaching at the same elementary school for the past 16 years. And I think the building had been there for about 200 years before I ever arrived.

Ok. Maybe that's a slight exaggeration, but only a slight one. Everyone was aware that the district decided to expand and they have built a beautiful new school down the road. There was already a lot of talk about who would be going there and such and such. Then, in February, my current principal announced that SHE would be going there! Wait, wha...?!?!?! I was shocked. As you may remember from previous posts, I love my principal. She is not only my boss, but my friend AND she just happens to be awesome at what she does. So, this was not something that I was counting on, but I have been desperate for a change for a couple of years now. So I immediately decided to ask for a transfer to the new school and after a VERY LONG PROCESS (I mean, months, people) I finally found out last week that I will be going with her!

I am so excited for this new opportunity. But of course, it is bittersweet. Over 16 years I've made a lot of great friends, many of whom are staying at my "old" school. It will be very hard to say goodbye to them, but I know we will keep our great friendships.

In the meantime, have you ever opened a new school before?

When I say I've been at my last school for 16 years, I am talking about my ENTIRE TEACHING CAREER!!!! I have had many titles within my building, but I have always been at the same school. And I'm not only moving, but opening a new school! What have I done?! Any advice would be very helpful. I've been reading Debbie Diller's Spaces and Places which I highly recommend and there is a section in there on moving. I've splurged on real boxes from Home Depot (not just assorted acquired ones) and I've been trying to catalog my personal books as I go. (Do you have the Book Crawler app? I'm going to have to post about it at another time. It's awesome!!!)

What else should I be doing?????

After our work day today, we are going to tour the new building!!! Not that I'm excited, but I have been up since 3:30 thinking about it! I will try to post some pics if I can. If it's not illegal. I'm kidding. Sort of...

2 comments:

Thanks for the comments!