About Me

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Burn Ban and July Currently

So, how are your plans for the fourth coming along? Well, ours are not as exciting this year. We usually do fireworks together in our driveway while LOTS of neighbors do theirs. It's pretty fun! Unfortunately, this year our town/county is under a Burn Ban because we've not had enough rain this summer. So...no fireworks for us. No fun, but I sure don't want any fires, so understandable. Instead, we'll have some friends and family over and play with sprinklers in the yard. It's gonna be a hot one! So, speaking of the fourth, I just finished my July Currently....linking up with Farley from


Link up with Farley, if you haven't already, which it seems MANY already have! Oh yeah, and read her rules! :)

Ok, so following the rules...my all time favorite book to read aloud is Harvey Slumfenburger's Christmas Present. (Oh yeah, and I'm anal, and I can't type book titles without underlining them) If you haven't read this story, you must! Harvey is a little boy who lives in a hut at the top of Roly-Poly mountain. He doesn't have much money, so when Santa finds one present left in his sack when he gets back to the North Pole and realizes it's for Harvey, he knows he has to get it to him, even though the reindeer are sick. The end of the story (I won't ruin it) lends itself to a great story starter! I look forward to reading this story every year.
And my goto professional book is the book that is the Reading Recovery training manual. It has great ideas of how to teach the "hard to reach" kids. The ones who don't get it. I pick it up at least once every year after I've had a not so successful guided reading lesson.
So there ya go! I hope to hear your comments and I hope you have a safe fourth of July!!!
Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog. We aren't on a burn ban yet, but many of our local fireworks displays have been cancelled. I think it is sad. I hope you make the best of the rest of your summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jenny!
    I am your newest follower!
    It is also quiet in my house, but that might be because it is 2 a.m.! I couldn't stop cutting until I finished the SMORE unit I purchased yesterday on TPT. It was like 85 pages to cut, laminate, & cut again. It is soo stinking cute, though. You should check it out. It is perfect for common core. I also teach first grade and it is my favorite.
    :)
    Tamera
    http://myheartbelongsinfirst.blogspot.com
    Kaizactan2001@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jenny...found you through Farley! I'm your newest follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found your blog & I'm your newest follower! I love finding fellow first grade teachers to share ideas with. I'm excited to follow along! :)
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comments!