About Me

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Containers and Formula, too!

Do you know that one of my favorite things in the world is containers?!?! It may be a prerequisite for becoming a teacher. I'm not sure, but I love them in all sizes, shapes, and colors. And I am guilty of buying them all with no rhyme or reason. But it's a weakness and I'm trying to get better. Debbie Diller taught me to just say no unless the container has a purpose and you have space for it. Have you read her books? My faves are Literacy Work Stations and Math Work Stations (although I have only read it once). But her book that I LOVE is Spaces and Places. It literally changed MY LIFE! the look and design of my classroom.
Spaces & Places: Designing Classrooms for Literacy [SPACES & PLACES -OS]

My district was lucky enough to hire Debbie and her associates to work with us last year and it was wonderful! Probably, no definitely the best professional development I've experienced in my 15 years. If ever you get the opportunity to see her or work with her, jump at the chance! She's awesome. In her book, she pointed out that if you use just one background and border on all of your bulletin boards/walls, etc. it gives your classroom a much cleaner, more pulled together look. I was that teacher with as many cute different prints I could find. The busier the better, but no more. Next year, I'm going with lime green and royal blue, with a little white and maybe pink thrown in. I've already painted a couple of bookshelves blue and today I made my polka-dotted lime green curtains! They are my new best friends. I know, sad. I will post a pic when I get them up. You're thinking, wow, Jenny, I didn't know you were a sewer (is that right? so-er, not sewer, ewwww.) Well, I'm not. I am able to sew, but I have not met a sewing machine that likes me. My mom has given me SEVERAL. She keeps hoping I'll meet one who likes me. Well, because that hasn't happened, I made the No-Sew curtains. My tools consisted of an iron and some fabric glue. That's it! Could I make more and sell them on Etsy? Hmmmm

Anyhoo...I digress...back to the containers. You may already know that I am the mother of twin boys who are 19 months old (and a 5 year old boy, too)! As you can imagine, we went through A LOT of formula feeding those babies the first year of their lives. Because I was going through so much formula, we were using about a tub every five days for a while and I thought, I've got to think of something to do with these formula tubs. They were really a great size and had an attached lid! So....



Ouila! I hot glued a cute polka dotted ribbon around them and the kids used these all year. They held up really well, although many kids managed to snap their lids off. But they still worked. Sadly, I still have about 16 formula tubs left, but obviously not enough for a whole class, so I'll need to do something else next year. What do you use? I'd love to get some new containers... These have a purpose, Debbie!!!!


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comments!